[Dovecot] Migrating mail from mbox to maildir using dovecot

Sat Sep 11 18:28:20 EEST 2010

On 2010-09-11 3:14 AM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:
> Currently our mail server is setup to use postfix and dovecot,

Version of DC?

> I have searched until blue in the face and cannot find a 100%
> working solution that doesn't require alot of manual interaction to
> move the mail boxes from mbox to maildir.

Dovecot 2.0 would use dsync, and it should be really easy and avoids
most problems the other methods can have (haven't used it yet myself,
but will on a system I'll be upgrading soon)...

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat

But either way, to avoid doing each one manually you'll need to use some
scripting magic. If I were doing it, I'd probably write a script  (or
more likely hire someone to do it for me, since my scripting skills are
rudimentary at best) that would run at the least busy time of day for
your system, and iterate through the user:

disable login
kill any existing processes for that user
run dsync to convert everything
re-enable login
rinse, repeat.

> I also tried the convert plugin located here:
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Convert but it kept erroring about
> not able to convert the box and exiting.

Did you ask here about the errors? Timo could probably address any
problems your having very quickly.

--

Best regards,

Charles