[Dovecot] Proper use of convert plugin?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 13 13:18:51 EEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 15:22 -0500, Donny Brooks wrote:

> Sep 11 14:41:38 roark dovecot: IMAP(username): Mailbox conversion: Lock creation timeouted
> Sep 11 14:41:39 roark dovecot: IMAP(username): Fatal: Mailbox conversion failed, exiting

If the mailbox is large I guess this can happen..

> Sep 11 14:56:53 roark dovecot: POP3(otheruser): Mailbox conversion: rename(/home/otheruser/Mail, /home/otheruser/Mail-converted) failed: Directory not empty

       ENOTEMPTY or EEXIST
              newpath  is  a  non-empty  directory,  that is, contains entries
              other than "." and "..".

The Mail-converted directory already exists?

> Also, while testing this, new mail was not delivered to the maildir
> but rather to the old mbox in /var/spool/mail/username.

Either disable mail delivery or enable convert plugin also in protocol
lda {}.

With v2.0 you could also use dsync, which would work more nicely.