[Dovecot] Lost %d variable

Aladdin aladdin at csunv.com
Mon Sep 13 21:25:56 EEST 2010

> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 12:51 -0400, Aladdin wrote:
>
> > command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
> >
> > which according to the wiki should work.
>
> Yeah.. It's for system user setups, which means there are no domains.

Ha! So *that* explains why there was no domain in being picked up for me to use in the file path.
Makes perfect sense now.

> > command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $local_part@$domain  -f
> > $sender_address -a $original_local_part@$original_domain

<snip>
> > 1. As printed in the wiki and quoted by Stephan, the documentation
> says, "-d
> > <username>: Destination username. If given, the user information is
> looked
> > up from dovecot-auth. Typically used with virtual users, but not
> necessarily
> > with system users."  So, why did I have to use it here?
>
> Because Postfix doesn't add @domain to USER environment.
>
> > 2. Why do the -f and -a switches have to be given?  Aren't those
> things
> > unchanged in the mail header?
>
> If -a isn't given, it's taken from Envelope-To: header. I don't know if
> Postfix adds this header.
>
> If -f isn't given, it's taken from Return-Path: header. Postfix adds
> this header, so this shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Of course, it's possible that the actual original addresses differ from
> what is written to headers (like +ext part could be dropped).

I'm not using Postfix (exim4/dovecot), but to the extent exim4 behaves the same way, this, too, makes perfect sense.  Actually, my exim4 config should be adding both the Envelope-To and the Return-Path headers, so it's probably superfluous.

Thanks!  For me, that closes out this topic (although there still may be some TB-deleting discussions going on;-).  I'm now having problems with auth-master and userdb stuff, but going to do a little RTFM'ing and Googlin' before posting, then open a new topic if I can't get it right on my on.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Regards,
Allen