[Dovecot] v2.0.0 released

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Wed Sep 15 11:12:52 EEST 2010

Le 7 sept. 2010 à 16:16:26, Timo Sirainen a écrit :

> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 15:56 +0200, Axel Luttgens wrote:
>>> 	+ imap and pop3 processes can now handle multiple connections.
>>
>> Could someone point to some more info about the above?
>
> Well, I don't necessarily recommend actually using it, but it's
> possible:
>
> service imap {
>  client_limit = <maybe a few>
>  service_count = 0
> }
> service pop3 {
>  client_limit = <maybe a few more than imap>
>  service_count = 0
> }
>
> The main problem is that some disk I/O, and especially lock waits, can
> hang all other connections running in the same process.

Hello Timo,

Many thanks for your reply.

Here, with dovecot 2.0.2, client_limit seems to default to 1 for services imap and pop3.
Trying client_limit=10 for imap, I get:

	dovecot[46911]: imap(testuser): Error: user testuser: Initialization failed: Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting failed: mbox: mbox requires client_limit=1 for service

(yes, still experimenting with mbox format...)
Same kind of error message when client_limit is set to a non-default value for pop3.

On the other hand, client_limit seems to default to 0 for service lmtp.
Leaving that default yields:

	dovecot[46286]: lmtp(46334, testuser): Error: user testuser: Initialization failed: Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting failed: mbox: mbox requires client_limit=1 for service

and one needs to define client_limit=1 for lmtp as well.

This behavior seems to have been enforced in mbox-storage.c with http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/28c3486864f6, and comes with following comment: "/* we can't handle locking related problems. */".

This is thus rather new.
But I couldn't find any information on the list related to those "locking problems".
Is it really needed to be so stringent with mbox format?
Or was it jut intended to be a temporary workaround?

TIA,
Axel