[Dovecot] Moving from MBOX to Maildir or DBox ?

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu Sep 16 19:27:20 EEST 2010

On 16/09/2010 16:47, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Actually we use MBOX format for all our IMAP access but users complain
> they cannot create subfolders in imap folders, of course they cannot
> because of MBOX format ...

Actually you can, under mbox, do mailboxes which contain both messages
and sub-mailboxes.

Two approaches are outlined at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MboxChildFolders

Though applying to an existing site either of the two approaches
outlined would require some reorganisation.

That reorganisation may be sufficient trouble that it may be as well to
switch to one of the other formats.

dbox is not a format; it is a family of two formats: single-dbox and
multi-dbox. See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat

Bill