[Dovecot] dsync - how to speed up

Burckhard Schmidt bschmidt at cms.hu-berlin.de
Fri Sep 17 16:23:39 EEST 2010

Hi,

I have converted some mbox mailboxes to maildir.
Inbox and folders had been cpopied before into a separate directories
"old-home" and old-inbox onto the new server (dovecot 2.0.2. with fix
hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/14a6e526900d).

dsync -v -u user mirror mbox:/old-homehome/~user:INBOX=/old-inbox/user

It works but it lasts "very long" time.
For one mailbox with 2,4 Gb and nearly 200.000 emails it lasts 100 minutes.
I would like to migrate 1.500 Gb - not possible in that way I think.

Are there any possibilities making it faster? May be not to generate
indices, ..., which could be done later during a first access by the user?

Is it possible to run several dsync commands at the same time, of course
each one for a different user? (Ressources cpu and I/O system are
available.)

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen --- Burckhard Schmidt