[Dovecot] mbox vs maildir

Jim Pazarena dovecot at paz.bz
Sat Sep 18 20:43:27 EEST 2010

I've had clients 'request' nested folders, and it would seem that
maildir is designed with that ability while with mbox it is difficult
and.or impossible to implement (nested can be achieved; but not nested
AND populated in each nest level).

My question is, is one format 'better' than the other? It would
take a fair bit of time to convert my system to maildir and I would
want to feel comfortable that this would be a true 'upgrade' in
abilities, rather than simply a change to accommodate nested folders.

Thanks,