[Dovecot] Problem installing latest dovecot w vpopmail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Sep 20 23:21:45 EEST 2010

Joe @ 3ZZZ put forth on 9/20/2010 12:47 PM:

> I'm now installing dovecot 1.2.14 on my new server for use with vpopmail
> - is this inadvisable; should I seek an alternative to dovecot if I want
> to stay with vpopmail?

Sure, switch (back?) to Courier, Cyrus, or UW-IMAP, assuming vpopmail
works with all of their current versions.  There are but a handful of
decent *nix open source IMAP servers.  There are a gazillion open source
virtual user/domain management utilities.

If you are so faithfully wed to vpopmail out of said gazillion other
options, which by your own admission you've only been using for a month,
please, by all means, chuck Dovecot and convert all your mail to one of
the other handful of *nix FOSS IMAP servers.  It will be a much easier
migration than grabbing 20 other management frontends, importing your
user/domain data, and picking one you like that works with Dovecot 2.x.

/sarcasm

Veiled, idle, meaningless 'threats' often prompt sarcastic (or worse)
replies.  Sometimes none at all, as it's not worth some folks time.  I
had a few minutes. ;)

Hike up your skirt, Grab another front end from the gazillion of them
out there, and get to work setting it up, instead of complaining that
Dovecot doesn't work with 1 out of 1 gazillion management front ends.

--
Stan