[Dovecot] tags disappear in Thunderbird

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Tue Sep 21 13:50:36 EEST 2010

On 21/09/2010 11:39, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Daniel Luttermann put forth on 9/21/2010 5:02 AM:
>> I would also use maildir for all mailboxes instead of mbox for inbox...
>
> Do you have technical justification for this recommendation, or is
> this merely "personal preference"? If both exist on NFS storage in a
> Dovecot cluster environment I would tend to agree due to potential
> locking and caching issues. Regarding local storage I don't see how
> there would be much, if any, of an operational difference, performance
> or otherwise.
>
> I'm not calling BS here, but asking for solid technical reasoning
> behind the recommendation.

Reduced complexity.

One storage format is simpler, and really (think Occam's razor) should
be the starting point for negotiations.

If anyone has to come up with an argument it is why someone should use
two storage formats instead of one.

To some people that may sound specious, but I suspect that is probably
just a manifestation of the underestimation of the cost of complexity.

Bill