[Dovecot] doveadm-expunge debug message clarifications

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 21 17:02:52 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 15:09 +0200, LEVAI Daniel wrote:

> I have some questions about doveadm-expunge's debug messages.
>
> # /usr/local/bin/doveadm -Dv expunge -u <user> mailbox 'sa.*' SAVEDBEFORE 6h
> doveadm(root): Debug: expire: Searching only users listed in expire database
> 				^^^^ That I don't understand.
> Does this mean that I can only specify users with the '-u' parameter
> from the list from the expire database, which is configured with:

No. The expire plugin is just doing some unnecessary extra work here and
logging that. I fixed in hg so that it now instead logs:

expire: Iterating only a single user, ignoring expire database

> If I don't specify a user with '-u', then nothing gets expunged, so it
> doesn't get the list of users from the expire database.

If you don't use -u or -A then it tries to access the current system
user's mails.

> doveadm(<user>): Error: net_connect_unix(/var/dovecot//dict) failed: Permission denied

I improved this error message now in hg to show what user doesn't have
access.

> # ls -la /var/dovecot/dict
> srw-------  1 root  wheel  0 Sep 21 09:47:00 2010 /var/dovecot/dict=
..
> What is trying to use that socket when I'm expunging mails? Am I
> supposed to grant my internal_user some privileges to that socket?
> While I got that error message, the expunge has succeeded.

doveadm tries to access the expire database via the dict socket. You
didn't really give enough information about what user you're running
doveadm as or if you're using system or virtual users or..