[Dovecot] "Documentation" link from http://www.dovecot.org/

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Tue Sep 21 18:51:00 EEST 2010

On the Dovecot home page http://www.dovecot.org/ we have a link
"Documentation" which links to the Dovecot 1.x wiki (
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ ).

There is a question mark in my mind as to whether that is a good idea
considering as how the current stable version of Dovecot appears to be
2.0.x.

In the Dovecot 1.x wiki, there is a pink stripe across the top of the
page which says that the documentation is for Dovecot 1.x. It looks as
though the intention was to make that prominent so as to guide visitors
to the right documentation, and I think to a certain extent it may work.

But I am wondering if perhaps the stripe could be too easily missed.
People might start browsing around in the Dovecot 1.x wiki without it
even occurring to them that there was a whole another wiki for 2.x.

I have an idea:

Perhaps the "Documentation" link on the home page could be re-worked to
something like

Documentation v2.x v1.x

where "v2.x" and "v1.x" are links to the two wikis.

This would make it obvious that there was different documentation
available for v2.x and v1.x, and encourage visitors to choose the
appropriate set.

Bill