[Dovecot] Vpopmail support broken

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 22 19:48:17 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 11:38 -0500, Matt Brookings wrote:

> On 09/22/2010 11:21 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I tried to fix 5.5 with this change:
> >
> > http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/597e18c0bc7e
>
> Vpopmail has always required vauth_open be called.  Some people have
> neglected this call and so vpopmail's authentication module system was
> modified to expect this.

Looks like I removed the above change a while after:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/7ea4e58aa356

because of: http://markmail.org/message/xvsu4z77m36suqsd

So I don't see how it could have been always required if (at least some
versions) didn't compile with the function..

> > But I heard that it's now crashing when doing that call. (I'm not sure
> > which ones of those above problems are with this change and which ones
> > aren't.) And apparently that also completely broke 5.4.
>
> It looks as if you added a call to 5.5's vauth_load_module function.
> There is no problem doing this in 5.5, but 5.4 does not have this
> function.  5.5 is meant to be backwards compatible with 5.4, and so,
> you do not need to call this function.

Yes, this breaks compiling with v5.4, but I remember someone saying that
their v5.5 installation still crashes even with the vauth_load_module()
call. (Or I think it is vauth_load_module() that crashed itself, but I
couldn't verify by searching my old mails.)