[Dovecot] LDA + Postfix + LDAP + Sieve (Vacation): Wrong Domain in Reply

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Fri Sep 24 23:25:32 EEST 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:55:57 -0600
Kendall Gifford <zettabyte at gmail.com> articulated:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm running dovecot (1.2.9) with postfix (2.7.0) on an ubuntu 10.04.1.
> I'm hosting mail for several domains and using the dovecot local
> delivery agent. Everything has been working great.
>
> However, today I set up a sieve script to send out-of-office replies
> (vacation) for one of our users. I tested it and got the response just
> fine. However, when looking at the "From" header of the auto-reply, I
> noticed that the domain name was wrong.
>
> My postfix master.cf line for doing local delivery is:
>
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=mail:mail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender}
> -d ${user}@${nexthop}
>
> My LDA configuration is:
>
> protocol lda {
>   postmaster_address = postmaster at our-primary-domain.com
>   hostname = our-primary-domain.com
>   mail_plugins = sieve
>   quota_full_tempfail = yes
>   deliver_log_format = msgid=%m: %$
>   rejection_reason = Your message to <%t> was automatically
> rejected:%n%r }
>
> So, our main "administrative" domain is: my-primary-domain.com, the
> mail server being mail.my-primary-domain.com. I sent an email to a
> user: janedoe at my-other-domain.com and the LDA with Sieve successfully
> sent me a reply. However, the "From" was: janedoe at mail instead of
> janedoe at my-other-domain.
>
> According to: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve#Vacation_auto-reply
>
> > Vacation uses envelope sender and envelope recipient ... taken from:
> >   V 1.1+
> >     Envelope recipient: -a parameter to deliver if given, otherwise
> > -d parameter to deliver. If neither is given (delivering to system
> > users), the $USER environment is used.
>
> Just for kicks I tried changing my master.cf to use -a instead of -d
> but then all mail delivers to user "mail" completely breaking all mail
> delivery. Anyhow, vacation auto-responders are fundamental to
> operations here and we manage mail for several separate companies. We
> need the "From" address to reflect the domain of the actual company.
> I'm stumped as to why sieve isn't getting/using the envelope sender's
> domain. I'm hoping someone here can point out (a hopefully obvious)
> mistake.
>
> I've attached my four pertinent config files as etc.tgz only slightly
> scrubbed.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

You would save yourself a lot of trouble, and the results would be more
accurate, if you simply provided output from the postfinger tool. This
can be found at http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger. This pertains to
Postfix obviously.

For dovecot, the usually excepted method is to use "dovecot -n". You
can pipe the output to a file so you can share it.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net