[Dovecot] Meaning of mail_max_userip_connections?

Harald Strack strack at hm.edu
Mon Sep 27 11:59:44 EEST 2010

Hi,

I set mail_max_userip_connections in our IMAP configuration to

mail_max_userip_connections = 10

to allow users 10 parallel connections.  It seems that this also limits
the amount of parallel connections from one IP but different users?!

Our users mostly accessing the IMAP server by a webmailer or  proxies.
Thus, all users (>10000) come from only 5 different IP. However, I got a
lot of complaints about denied connections after setting
mail_max_userip_connections = 10.

Am I right with the meaning of this parameter?

Thanks in advance

Harry