[Dovecot] Meaning of mail_max_userip_connections?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 27 17:30:55 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 15:57 +0200, Harald Strack wrote:
> > No, wrong. It's a user+ip combination. Each different user behind the
> > same IP can use up to 10 connections with
> > mail_max_userip_connections=10.
>
> Thanks a lot for your explanation! However, now I am at the beginning
> again.

You could try doing some tests to see if you can trigger the problem. Or
try to reduce the value from 1000 first to 100 and then maybe drop until
people start complaning about and raise it a bit higher :)

> > BTW. What Dovecot version? If this isn't working as expected, maybe
> > dovecot -n output could show something /usr/local
> >
> We do not use the most recent version... but was there a bug with this
> parameter?

I was thinking if you were maybe using some really old version or maybe
if you were using v2.0 and if there maybe had been some new bug.

> login_processes_count: 8
> login_max_processes_count: 8192

Maybe you should set login_process_per_connection=no.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess