[Dovecot] dsync is seriously broken when syncing maildir and mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 28 21:54:04 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 03:08 +0100, interfaSys sàrl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I thought mdbox was production ready, but it seems to me that (in 2.0.4)
> it's quite broken.
>
> 1)  The documentation only running this to convert from maildir to mdbox:
>
> *dsync mirror maildir:~/Maildir*
>
> but based on my experience and on posts on the mailing list, it's not
> enough.
> A namespace has to be defined and it's not clear whether / or . should
> be used as a separator.
> I tried with a dot first and the INBOX folders were empty. It seemed to
> work better with /

It doesn't really matter, just as long as it's something.

> 2) After having defined a namespace, running dsync again makes it spit
> tons of errors
> Error: Can't rename mailbox INBOX_28c716242e53784cc9030100d3b51c5c to
> INBOX: Target mailbox already exists
> Error: Mailboxes don't have unique GUIDs:
> 4536121fce3ca14cf8c40000d3b51c5c is shared by INBOX and
> INBOX_4536121fce3ca14cf8c40c

What does "doveconf mail_location" say? It looks as if you're trying to
convert from maildir:~/Maildir to maildir:~/Maildir, i.e. over itself. I
thought about adding a check against that, but since it wasn't all that
easy I thought maybe no one will actually run into that problem..