[Dovecot] Fwd: NFS question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 30 00:52:46 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 15:27 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> To: timo at iki.fi

This has never been my email address. I don't know who it goes to.

> After reading the archives recently on a few threads about NFS I have
> concerns

You've read http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-August/052188.html
thread?

> over our plans to move from cyrus to dovecot, we initially discounted
> dovecot as
> a choice over it, but since dovecot and sieve go well together, I am just
> re-capping
> everything before we approve move to courier or back to dovecot, having re
> read
> those threads over a couple of times, am I right in assuming that this
> caching
> problem, is really only a problem if using imap and the chances of it being
> an
> issue with pop3 is very rare?

With POP3-only users it should be rare. But if they're using webmail
also that adds IMAP there which makes it less safe. Also with POP3 you
might want to disable indexes anyway and use filename as POP3 UIDL and
then corruption wouldn't matter at all (dovecot-uidlist file updates are
actually pretty pointless then).

> Also, will this be more of a problem if we use dovecot v1.2 or v2.0 ?

They work identically. Although today I made performance improvements to
POP3, and I'll probably still make some more.

Anyway, I can't give you any guarantees. I only know that it's not 100%
safe, but some people with POP3-only/mostly setups have been happy
enough anyway.