[Dovecot] Possible bug with proxy in 2.0.4

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 30 02:19:18 EEST 2010

On 29.9.2010, at 23.03, Ed W wrote:

> Specifically I cloned my 1.2 virtual machine, upgraded the clone to 2.0.4 and tested it by trying to login using CRAM-MD5.   I get the errors:
>
> Sep 29 22:50:30 mail_test dovecot: imap-login: Error: proxy: password not given: user=<demo at abc.com>, method=CRAM-MD5, rip=x.x.x.x, lip=x.x.x.x, mpid=0, TLS

CRAM-MD5 doesn't work directly with proxying. It can't work, by CRAM-MD5 design. The only way to make it work is if your passdb lookup returns a password, either the user's actual password in plaintext or some master password, that the backends accepts with plaintext authentication.

> I then change the configuration so that the 2.0.4 machine proxies the connection back to the 1.2 machine (again) and try to login to the 2.0.4 machine and get the same errors as above.  Seems like the error is only when proxying (needless to say, the old 1.2 machine works fine with CRAM and that's how it's normally accessed, so also does the 2.0.4 machine, it's only proxying one to the other which isn't apparently working?)

If it worked with v1.2, it either wasn't proxying or it was doing something like I mentioned above.