[Dovecot] Fwd: NFS question

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 30 14:38:19 EEST 2010

> On 2010-09-29 5:52 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Anyway, I can't give you any guarantees. I only know that it's not 100%
>> safe, but some people with POP3-only/mostly setups have been happy
>> enough anyway.
>
> Timo, can you at least clarify this - my understanding is that the
> problem here is not inherent to dovecot, but to NFS caching, and that
> dovecot is no more or less prone to having problems than any other
> imap/pop3 server?

That is correct. Except that many other imap/pop servers do not implement a message index to increase performance. The problem lies in the index, not in the messages themselves. You can turn off the index completely, and then you'll be just as slow as any other imap server and wont ever see this problem.

Or you can turn off index updating in the LDA if you use the LDA, and that prevents a big part of the issue as well.

Or you implement the dovecot director.

Cor