[Dovecot] inotify and network/cluster filesystems

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Fri Apr 1 10:52:49 EEST 2011

(dovecot v1.2.16)

I've notice the log notices about increasing
/proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances on my servers, and started
wondering if inotify works for network/cluster filesystems..

I found this:

	http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=311194

which says that there's no mechanism for one node to tell another node
that a directory changed for GPFS.. And I would assume the same applies for
NFS and other network filesystems. (Yes I know, we should use director
to make users sticky to one host -- but we're not yet ready for that for
lmtp).

So, are there any recommendations for what settings one should use for
for filesystems where inotify woun't work ? Are there settings for
disabling it (without recompiling)?

And does mailbox_idle_check_interval happen in addition to inotify, so
that clients will be notified even with a broken inotify ?

  -jf