[Dovecot] doveadm mailbox status - getting the size in bytes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 4 19:02:31 EEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 11:56 -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> doveadm has an option to get the "vsize" of mailboxes, which is
> calculated by counting the number of linefeeds,

Not number of linefeeds. It's the mail sizes as visible to IMAP and POP3
clients. vsize as in "virtual size". The opposite being "physical size"
which is how many bytes it physically contains on disk.

> but there does not
> appear to be way to simply get the size in bytes of a mailbox. I was
> wondering if there is something I am missing (I am using mdbox), or if
> not is it possible to implement this.

With mdbox even the physical size is somewhat pointless since it doesn't
include the size of the metadata content. Also in mdbox expunged
messages use up space until purge is run.