[Dovecot] Invalid old index files

Reinhard Vicinus r.vicinus at metaways.de
Tue Apr 5 16:59:17 EEST 2011

Hi,

i'm in the process of evaluating dovecot. I have a rather big testing
environment with four dovecot director frontend instances and four
dovecot backend instances. Mailboxes are all in mdbox format and stored
on nfs. Indexes are stored locally. dovecot nfs setup for high
performance is used (mmap_disable = no, dotlock_use_excl = yes,
mail_nfs_storage = yes, mail_nfs_index = no).

The remaining problem is, if i disable a backend server and the backend
server which took over the connection already has some old index files,
this index files aren't updated. If there aren't any index files all is
fine and the index files are created anew. I can solve this by regularly
deleting old index files via a cronjob. But i'm not sure if i made a
configuration mistake and dovecot somehow can detect old index files
automatically and invalidate them?

Thanks in advance
Reinhard