[Dovecot] Questions about converting maildir to mdbox.

Henrique Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 01:29:52 EEST 2011

Thanks, but we did ran  teste in the disks, and the problem was find file,
not actuly writing or reading them, so we guess is a ofs2 problem, thats why
now we are thinking in mdbox, to reduce the "find files" problem one thing
that realy helped the performance was give lots of ram in the virtual
machines where dovecot is running, with lots of ram, the kernel makes cache
of "location" and it finds much faster the files. As matter fact the space
provide to us, we might have to give back some of it. Buying hardware is not
an option yet. So we keep thinking how to imprive performance tunning
everything up.

I am thinking of chancge io schelduler also. But have not research a lot to
try this yet, but it is in the plans.

The backup problem is because the machine that backups ( it joins the ocfs2
cluester just to backup files ) we are not able to make cache. Cause as much
as we give RAM the bacula just eat up all ram we gave. I guess it is because
of accurate option, still find a way to limit bacule ram use, so the kernel
became able to cache some inodes.

Thanks for your reply and i am glad you remembered that old posts.

But i still looking for some info about mdbox.

Before we thought of using mdbox but we did not want to stick with dovecot,
i mean, we like the ideia we could be able to change the imap server and
etc. But as someone said, what are the other choises we have for opensource
imap server ? Even with cyrus we still need to come acroos a big convertion,
so it does not make much diference.

About the index files you said, SSD disks are not an possibility, but i
though of using another partition as place for index files. Does it will
make lot of diference ? As i said, we are using ldiretord with lbrlc that
keeps track of ip address to some servers, is not ALWASY send it to the same
server, but i tries to do it.

[]'sf.rique