[Dovecot] Question about Outlook workarounds

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Tue Apr 19 00:27:32 EEST 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:45:31 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> articulated:

> On 4/18/11 4:42 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> >> Do the Outlook workarounds in Dovecot 1.x still apply to current
> >> versions of Outlook? Or has Microsoft fixed Outlook such that
> >> workarounds are no longer needed in Dovecot (and if so, after what
> >> version of Outlook can I remove the workaround settings in my
> >> dovecot.conf file)?
> >
> > According to Microsoft, Outlook isn't broken, the rest of the world
> > is wrong... So no, they haven't fixed it.
>
>    There's a reason the civilized world calls it "LookOut!"

On the other side of the coin, MS Outlook was designed to work with MS
based applications like MS Exchange; something it does extremely well,
especially the new Outlook 2010 version. Besides, when you control 90%
of the desktop market, the lines as to who is suppose to support whom
becomes fuzzy. And yes, I am fully aware of standards. I love
standards; there are so many to choose from. The only standard I am
concerned with is whether or not something works.

In any case, can anyone specifically state what workaround is required
for MS Outlook 2010? I won't have an opportunity until next week to
actively try different scenarios to see if any specific configurations
must be adhered to so if anyone has any factual knowledge on the
subject I would appreciate a heads up.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net