[Dovecot] Running mailfront under dovecot2.x service supervision

Uffe Jakobsen uffe at uffe.org
Tue Apr 19 15:19:07 EEST 2011

Robert Schetterer wrote:

> i ve got confused, dovecot is no smtp server
> what are you trying to goal ?

Correct dovecot is not an smtp server.
My goal is what I wrote in the initial email - but I try to explain in other
words.

Dovecot2.0.x has the ability to setup somewhat generic supervised services
ala daemontools services if you know that tool.
Dovecot uses these services internally to wrap an ordinary imap session into
an ssl session.
And that is exactly what I would like to do with my mailfront session - wrap
it into a ssl session using the generic service setup present in dovecot
2.0.x

As far as I can see - the services that you define inside dovecot.conf does
not have to relate to imap at all and since smtp and imap go hand in hand in
order to have a fully working email setup - then why not have dovecot
control all the services ?

/Uffe