[Dovecot] Using replaceable variables in sieve

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Apr 25 16:49:54 EEST 2011

On 4/24/2011 10:29 PM, Jerry wrote:
> I am not even sure if this is possible. I cannot find an example of it
> anywhere.
>
> I am in the process of setting up a "plus" addressing system. The
> addresses would be addresses to accounts like
> <sales+USERNAME at domain.com>. there are presently 50 such names in sales.
>
> This is the one line entry I presently have in the sieve script:
>
> if envelope :detail "To" "joe" {fileinto "joe"; stop;}
>
> Now, what I would like to do is find a way to do this:
>
> if envelope :detail "To" "joe" {fileinto :detail; stop}
>
> That does not work though. I really do not want to list every available
> user individually since it will eventually become a nightmare to
> maintain. Is there any way in a sieve script to assign the value of
> ":detail" to another variable and use that variable in the "fileinto"
> portion of the script? I would also need to maintain the same case
> folding so as not to create multiple folders with the same name; ie,
> Joe, joe, jOe

The variables extension is what you need. Here's an example:

require ["variables", "envelope", "fileinto", "subaddress"];

if envelope :is :user "to" "sales" {
     if envelope :matches :detail "to" "*" {
         /* Save name in ${name} in all lowercase except for the first
letter.
          * Joe, joe, jOe thus all become 'Joe'.
          */
         set :lower :upperfirst "name" "${1}";
     }

     if string :is "${name}" "" {
         /* Default case if no detail is specified */
         fileinto "sales";
     } else {
         /* For sales+joe@ this will become users/Joe */
         fileinto "users/${name}";