[Dovecot] IMAP vs. POP3

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Thu Apr 28 21:26:49 EEST 2011

Quoting Jim Pazarena <dovecot at paz.bz>:

> On 2011-04-28 10:31 AM, Matt wrote:
>> Does IMAP create much additional system load vs. POP3?
>
> I would say it adds considerable load to the server.

I would argue the opposite.  POP3 creates more load, especially on the
network side of things, since it requires the client to download the
full headers vs. individual fields.

And viewing messages is a much greater load on POP3, especially when
viewing MIME messages with attachments since you necessarily need to
download the entire message to view vs. downloading only the structure
(and generally small text parts) when using IMAP.

michael