[Dovecot] OT - small hd recommendation

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Wed Aug 31 03:51:41 EEST 2011

SATA 1 vs SATA 3 won't change the seek performance of the drive,
unless your stay fully within the drives cache.

Only 2 things affect how many iops you can get from a drive. The
physical diameter and the speed. You can affect the physical diameter
of the drive by selecting how much of the drive you use, like only
using 200gigs out of a 500gig drive.

If you do opt for raid6, that would be a huge cpu overhead, and if you
stick with 4 drives, not worth it, every write would hit atleast 3
drives then, instead of just two they do currently, with no gain of
space.