[Dovecot] Dovecot and pigeonhole: mail not filtered

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Aug 1 18:50:47 EEST 2011

Op 1-8-2011 9:09, Sebastian Schlingmann schreef:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running dovecot for quite some time now (currently version 2.0.13).
> Recently I tried to get Sieve and Managesieve to run. For this purpose
> I installed pigeonhole 0.2.3 and added sieve to the mail_plugins for
> lmtp and to the protocols. I also copied the sample 90-sieve.conf and
> 20-managesieve.conf into my /etc/dovecot/conf.d/ directory. In
> 90-sieve.conf I uncommented the sieve and sieve_dir options and set
> them to my desired values.
>
> After a restart of dovecot I was able to use my webmailer to add sieve
> scripts via the managesieve protocol. However the sieve scripts do not
> trigger.
> Is there any way to test if sieve is even executed when a mail arrives?
> mail_debug did not give me any relevant information.
>
> BTW: I checked my sieve script with the sieve-test command and it would
> execute the right action (move a mail into a directory).

Are you actually using the Dovecot LDA or the LMTP service? Enabling the
plugin is not enough. Your MTA (Postfix, Exim, etc) needs to use LDA or
LMTP for local delivery. This is usually not the default. For LDA you
can check this wiki page: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA and the sub-page
relevant to your MTA. Alternatively, you can use LTMP. For enabling LTMP
in your particular MTA, you need to check its documentation. For the
Dovecot side of LTMP you can check http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LMTP.

Regards,

Stephan.