[Dovecot] web interface for user creation/vacation

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Aug 2 04:01:35 EEST 2011

On 8/2/2011 1:55 AM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> Are there any decent front-ends to setup/manage per-user sieve filters?

There are several, but so far I am not too impressed by any of them.
Most web-based versions are part of a webmail suite. The nicest one I've
seen so far is the sieverules plugin for Roundcube. Then there is
horde/ingo, which wasn't that fancy last time I looked. There is also
squirrelmail/avelsieve, which is a bit ugly in a technical point of
view, but it works quite well. There are older ones like smartsieve and
websieve, but those are not maintained anymore and not compatible with
Dovecot without patching them.

I'm hoping that someone writes a proper (native) PHP module for Sieve
parsing in the near future. This is something that is currently barely
done by web interfaces, with the effect that only one Sieve client can
be used at the same time, because competitive clients will
overwrite/mangle scripts of others, instead of trying to parse and
adjust them. In fact, the only client I know (including the desktop
ones) that somewhat parses the script on the server is the sieverules
plugin for Roundcube.Therefore such a PHP module solves only part of the
problem: web interfaces. Normal mail clients like Thunderbird, Outlook
and Evolution don't have (proper) support for Sieve either, let alone
script parsing functionality with a user-friendly GUI :/

Perhaps we should make a list of the available clients on the wiki
somewhere with some information on how well these work with Dovecot.

There is a short list at http://sieve.info/clients.

Regards,

Stephan.