[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.x configuration

Vincent Richomme forumer at smartmobili.com
Sun Aug 7 13:44:17 EEST 2011

Hi,

sorry to post about that but I have some issues to migrate my dovecot
1.x to 2.x.
I have installed dovecot 2.x package on ubuntu natty(package were
generated from sources found in debian testing),
and I have modified config files like that :

dovecot.conf:
-------------

!include_try /usr/share/dovecot/protocols.d/*.protocol
listen = *, ::
!include conf.d/*.conf
!include_try local.conf

conf.d/10-auth.conf:
---------------------
!include auth-sql.conf.ext

so I have uncommented the auth-sql.conf.ext because I want a sql auth
but these file is not available
so I copied the file ../dovecot-sql.conf.ext and rename it into
auth-sql.conf.ext.

conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext:
---------------------

driver = mysql
connect = host=127.0.0.1 dbname=foobarserver user=foo password=bar
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
password_query = SELECT email as user, password FROM view_users WHERE
email='%u';

When I try to load the config I get the following error :

root at sd-30635:/etc/dovecot/conf.d# dovecot -n
# 2.0.13 (ba03935cc599): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext line 29: Unknown setting: driver
doveconf: Error: managesieve-login: dump-capability process returned 89
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext line 29: Unknown setting: driver

I searched on the mailing list and I found an answer but I am still not
sure how to solve it.

UPDATE : after trying to use my brain I found the solution to my issue
but I am still posting to help people that
may have the same problem and to make you notice that the current
configuration files are not logical.
I mean in conf.d/10-auth.conf you can uncomment auth-sql.conf.ext but
the file is not available (maybe it's a packaging
problem). So I did the following steps :

cp conf.d/auth-system.conf.ext conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext

Then I have edited conf.d/auth-sql.conf.ext:

passdb {
   driver = mysql
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
}

OK so far so good, next problem is about the old configuration lines :

# It's possible to export the authentication interface to other
programs:
   socket listen {
     master {
       # Master socket provides access to userdb information. It's
typically
       # used to give Dovecot's local delivery agent access to userdb so
it
       # can find mailbox locations.
       path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
       mode = 0600
       # Default user/group is the one who started dovecot-auth (root)
       user = vmail
       #group =
     }
     client {
       # The client socket is generally safe to export to everyone.
Typical use
       # is to export it to your SMTP server so it can do SMTP AUTH
lookups
       # using it.
       path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
       mode = 0660
     }
   }

Where should I put them in the new config file hierarchy ? And do I
still need them ?
Just for information I have based my mail setup on the following guide
:
http://workaround.org/ispmail/etch

Thanks