[Dovecot] How to make dovecot-lda/deliver mark a message as seen

Andrzej Adam Filip AnFi at onet.eu
Mon Aug 8 09:36:17 EEST 2011

"Stefan Piegsa" <s at s7p.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am using dovecot 2.0.13 and have a special case here in which I want
> a mail that is delivered locally with dovecot-lda to be marked as
> "seen".
>
> In dovecot 1.1.7 I succeeded to achive this, by modifing deliver.c so
> that upon adding a -S switch to the command arguments, the flag
> MAIL_SEEN was added to the call of mailbox_copy(). This seemed to work
> pretty good.
>
> With the new version, i tried to do something similar by selectively adding
> mail_update_flags(ctx.src_mail, MODIFY_ADD, MAIL_SEEN);
> just before the call of mail_deliver(), whenever the -S argument is given.
>
> But this does not work. What is wrong?
>
> Is there a better way to set MAIL_SEEN for a locally delivered mail? I
> would prefer a method that does not require to mess around in the
> dovecot sources. :-)
>
> Thanks in advance & Best Regards,
> Stefan

Have you considered using sieve for the task?
[Using imap4flags extension]

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve
#v+
if address ["Return-Path"] ["my_address at my_domain.com"]
{
   setflag "\\seen";
}
#v-

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
What if nothing exists and we're all in somebody's dream?  Or what's worse,
what if only that fat guy in the third row exists?
  -- Woody Allen, "Without Feathers"