[Dovecot] Clients can't retrieve new emails

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Tue Aug 9 20:03:11 EEST 2011

On 08/09/2011 08:23 AM, Jeff Van Epps wrote:
> Apologies for the repeat post. I just want to take one more try to find
> someone who can help or point me in a direction on this. Anyone?

So the client never requests any mail.  Just the list of folders.

> out:
> * OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2011-08-01 08:28:33
> ~A1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
> IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
> QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS] Logged in
> * NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
> ~A2 OK Namespace completed.
> * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk Junk)
> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
> Junk \*)] Flags permitted.
> * 101 EXISTS
> * 0 RECENT
> * OK [UNSEEN 63] First unseen.
> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1222650706] UIDs valid
> * OK [UIDNEXT 863] Predicted next UID
> * OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1903] Highest
> ~A3 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "Trash"
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "Sent"
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "INBOX"
> ~A4 OK List completed.
> ~A5 BAD Error in IMAP command UID STORE: Invalid uidset
> ~A6 BAD Error in IMAP command UID STORE: Invalid uidset
>

> I've searched and read messages saying that there is no such thing as
> UID 0. Okay. Why are the clients suddenly trying to use it? Why doesn't
> the server just ignore it? (it seems like it may be terminating the
> connection)

I tried the same commands against my Dovecot server and it did not
terminate the connection.  I may be running a different version than you
though.

> What can I do about it? (I'll nag HP about the client side but I don't
> expect quick action. The server on the other hand is in my house.)

That's the real question.  I'd be curious to see what Thunderbird does
since you say it has the same problem.  Do you have rawlogs from that?