[Dovecot] Dovecot quota dict

Nikita Koshikov koshikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:35:13 EEST 2011

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 11:18:55 -0300
Juan Bernhard wrote:

> Hi Nikita, thanks for the help, but I don't have any problem with
> bouncing the mail after the deliver (in fact, the mail pass two MTAs
> servers before reaching the final storage)
> I will try (with my limited english) to explain it better. Now I m
> working with a single quota rule for everyone. What I need is a
> mechanism to give a custom quota to each user. I thought that a flat
> file will be the simple and easy option to implement, and then use
> "quota=${lookup {$local_part} lsearch .....}" in the exim transport. I
> need a way to configure dovecot to follow the same file (or at least a
> modified copy). I've been told on this list that I can't rely on the
> maildirsize file, because it can be deleted under some conditions... so
> i neet to stablish quotas to dovecot somewhere else.
> My question is: can dovecot get a custon quota for a user from a file
> (not sql or ldap) and use at the same time pam as userdb?
>

> Thanks, Juan.

So, you need customizable userdb lookup without ldap or sql. You can try too use checkpassword as userdb and then, in the script - parse quota-file, make pam lookup and return userdb_quota* values for specific user. More on http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/CheckPassword . I don't have experience with this authdatabase method, but seems that it suitable for you.
But in general - it's better to prevent editing maildirsize file from 2 instances.