[Dovecot] SQL passdb lookups not working

Benjamin Montgomery bmontgom at montynet.org
Sun Aug 14 18:19:25 EEST 2011

Just in case someone else runs into this...

I solved the problem that I described below by switching the password
encoding to base64.  Also, with django, you have to monkey patch (based
on info from [1]) the set_password function in
django.contrib.auth.models.User.  You also have to use a UserProfile
like described at [2].  Code below goes in models.py for your project.

import hashlib
import base64

from django.contrib.auth.models import User

# Save original User set_password method
orig_set_password = User.set_password

def set_password(user, raw_password):
     if user.id == None:
         user.save()

     # Use the original method to set the django User password:
     orig_set_password(user, raw_password)

     userprofile, created = UserProfile.objects.get_or_create(user=user)

     # Save the salt and sha digest in the correct format for dovecot
     m = hashlib.sha1()

     userprofile.salt = user.password.split('$')[1]

     m.update(raw_password)
     m.update(userprofile.salt)

     userprofile.shadigest = base64.b64encode(m.digest() + userprofile.salt)

     userprofile.save()

# Replace the method with the custom set_password
User.set_password = set_password

[1]
https://github.com/jedie/PyLucid/blob/master/pylucid_project/apps/pylucid/models/userprofile.py
[2]