[Dovecot] Slackware Dovecot recompile with SSL/TLS question

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 05:21:22 EEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 06:07:37PM -0500, CopalFreak wrote:
> Slackware 13.1.0
> Dovecot 2.0.8
> Postfix 2.4.3

That's rather old, BTW.

> MySQL (virtual users)
> Spamassassin 3.3.1
> ClamAV 0.97.1 (without Amavis)
> Have wild-card SSL certs and CA from GoDaddy
>
> ##"postconf -a"
> >> cyrus
> >> dovecot
>
> I compiled Dovecot without SASL support and need to re-compile it
> WITH SASL support,

The Subject line says "SSL/TLS", and then here you say "SASL". I
suppose the Subject is correct, right? I don't recall there being
options to enable/disable SASL in Dovecot.

> but I don't want to mess up my existing configuration. (I have
> it the way I want it as far as where it's installed, where the
> conf files are located, UID, GID settings, etc.)
>
> Dovecot 2.0.13 is out and I would prefer to use the newer
> version assuming it doesn't have any problems that would
> prevent me from using it.
>
> Is there a way to re-compile (or upgrade) so that it doesn't
> change any of my existing settings?

Did you look at the wiki yet? Upgrading from one minor version to
another should be rather simple. Check the NEWS.
    http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading
    http://dovecot.org/doc/NEWS

> I would like to be able to bring it down, do upgrade, maybe copy
> some config files over the defaults etc, and bring it all back
> up within a few minutes instead of a week of tweaking and fixing
> stuff.

Spend some time in advance, and this should be simple.

> Is there a way to do something like this :
>
> stop dovecot

No, this is too early in the process. Compile first.

> backup all dovecot conf files
>
> ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/path/to/openssl LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/openssl
> --config_dir /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> (or something like that..not sure what it actually is)
>
> make

Here's where you'd "dovecot stop".

> sudo make install
> edit conf files to point to SSL certs

Actually you can edit the modular /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf
file ahead of time, then just uncomment the include line at this
point.

> start dovecot
>

> IN CASE anything goes wrong, copy old config files back and
> restart dovecot to make it go back the way it was (only it's
> using the new 2.0.13 version)
>

> any suggestions and/or tips on how-to do this would be greatly
> appreciated.

You might gain some confidence by doing this in a virtual machine
and/or chroot in advance.