[Dovecot] Large Mailbox Slow

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue Aug 23 18:50:03 EEST 2011

On 8/22/2011 6:42 PM, Matt wrote:
> Doubt if there is any answer to this but will ask anyway.  Have a few
> pop3 accounts with thousands of messages.  Its slow when checking
> email naturally.  Are there any tweaks to speed it up?  I imagine
> there is an exchange of the message and header list which is the slow
> down.  Too bad the list could not be compressed with gzip or something
> first.  I think http has an option similar to that.
>
> Just asking.

IMAP is a far better choice if you want to leave messages up on the server.

(XFS or ext4 plus using Maildir storage format on the server can also be
a big help.  But unless you have evidence that the disks are buried or
the server's CPU is busy, those changes may not help at all.  A good and
quick tool on Linux servers to monitor that is "atop".)