[Dovecot] signal 11 crash, sometimes, during mbox bz2 decompression

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 23 20:47:44 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 05:00 -0600, Mike Brown wrote:

> I'm running dovecot 1.2.16 from the ports collection on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE,
> amd64.
..
> My compressed mbox files are all .bz2 files in an 'old' subdirectory of my
> main mail directory. I am trying to access them with Thunderbird. I
> 'subscribed' to them just fine, and at first I thought it was working, but I
> just got lucky on the first couple I accessed. Dovecot actually fails to
> decompress them about 90% of the time, seemingly at random; the same box will
> not work a bunch of times, then work once, then not work again and again. When
> it works, sometimes only some of the messages get transmitted.

I'm not entirely sure but I kind of remember bzip2 support being at
least somewhat broken in v1.x. It's been entirely rewritten in v2.0.

> Aug 16 00:25:33 myhost dovecot: dovecot: child 943 (imap) killed with signal 11 (core not dumped - set mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes)

gdb backtrace would show more information about where it crashed:
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

But I don't think there's much point in wasting more time on this before
trying if v2.0 has already fixed it.