[Dovecot] LDA and auth-userdb socket permissions

a.smith at ukgrid.net a.smith at ukgrid.net
Tue Aug 23 21:27:23 EEST 2011

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

>> Hmmm, well in my setup dovecot-lda is called from Exim with "user="
>> set to a MySQL query.
>
> Are you sure you even need Dovecot to do a userdb lookup then? If
> Exim can set up also the other needed things (home dir?) it
> shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, I think I could do that. I followed the setup guide for Exim
from the Dovecot wiki and this is the first config I arrived at, which
works well apart from this little detail.

srw-rw----  1 root  mailnull  0 Aug 23 19:13 /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb

> 2) If you've any SELinux or app-armor stuff enabled, try disabling them

Im running FreeBSD so no SELinux here.

In my test, actually what I have is a vmail user with primary group
vmail and secondary group mailnull. Which as mentioned results in this
error:

Aug 23 19:19:13 lda: Error: userdb lookup:
connect(/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb) failed: Permission denied
(euid=25110(vmail) egid=25110(vmail) missing +r perm:
/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb, euid is not dir owner)

It did cross my mind it was a bug, but then I thought the
documentation just was wrong on the wiki...