[Dovecot] Dovecot rejecting Vpopmail User 89

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Aug 24 22:32:49 EEST 2011

Quoting hobie at rumormillnews.com:

> I'm working to get Dovecot 2.0.13 working along with qmail, Vpopmail and
> Squirrelmail on a Debian 6.0.2 system, Dovecot compiled, not from a
> package.
>
> Vpopmail has a widely known assigned user/group ID of 89 and is the owner
> of all the mail folders.
>
> Regardless of value of first_valid_uid (1, 89, other), Dovecot denies
> Squirrelmail connection, saying it can't allow access to UID 89. "Couldn't
> drop privileges", it says. I'd be grateful for fixes, suggestions, or a
> pointer to an existing answer to this problem.  Thanks ahead. :)

Here's mine - I set first and last uid AND gid.
Can you telnet to port 110 and test?

USER username
PASS password
LIST

# 2.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE amd64
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
auth_username_translation = %@
auth_verbose = yes
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
default_login_user = vpopmail
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 89
first_valid_uid = 89
last_valid_gid = 89
last_valid_uid = 89
# run under tcpserver
log_path = /dev/stderr
login_greeting = Ready.
mail_fsync = never
mail_plugins = " quota zlib"
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   prefix =
   separator = .
}
namespace {
   hidden = yes
   inbox = no
   list = no
   location =
   prefix = INBOX.
   separator = .
}
passdb {
   driver = vpopmail
}
plugin {
   quota = maildir
}
protocols = imap pop3
service anvil {
   client_limit = 2000
}
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-master {
     mode = 0600
   }
}
service imap-login {
   client_limit = 384
   process_limit = 512
   process_min_avail = 25
   service_count = 0
}
service imap-postlogin {
   executable = script-login rawlog /usr/local/etc/dovecot/lastauth-imap.sh
   user = vpopmail
}
service imap {
   executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
}
service pop-postlogin {
   executable = script-login /usr/local/etc/dovecot/lastauth-pop.sh
   user = vpopmail
}
service pop3-login {
   client_limit = 384
   process_limit = 512
   process_min_avail = 25
   service_count = 0
}
service pop3 {
   executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
}
shutdown_clients = no
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/mail.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/mail.key
ssl_key_password = password
userdb {
   driver = vpopmail
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
   mail_max_userip_connections = 10
   mail_plugins = " quota zlib imap_zlib quota imap_quota"
}
protocol pop3 {
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   mail_max_userip_connections = 10
   mail_plugins = quota
   pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv