[Dovecot] On IMAP vhost login, only Username being used

hobie at rumormillnews.com hobie at rumormillnews.com
Fri Aug 26 23:05:47 EEST 2011

Found it. :)  Not a dovecot problem but a field in Icedove (Thunderbird
variant) that had been automatically filled in by the software "to serve
you better".  It's on the Server Settings page as "User Name".

"Never mind..." :)

--hobie

> Recapping:  I'm working to set up Dovecot 2.0.13 along with some
additional software (qmail, vpopmail, squirrelmail).  It's working fine
with squirrelmail now, but trying to connect over SSL with a Thunderbird
variant and using IMAP, authentication fails because Dovecot is trying
to match only the front part of the name (the user part), ignoring the
domain name part of what it's being sent.  So, instead of seeking to
match virtual user:

>  joe_blow at some_domain.com
>
> ...it's trying to match:
>
>  joe_blow
>
> ...and failing, since joe_blow is not a system user but is a virtual
host user.  With Squirrelmail, connecting from localhost via non-SSL
IMAP, the match is handled correctly, no problem.  I've run the
runtbird.sh script but no light was shed on this by the resulting
output, all it said was that authentication was failing.

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions on how to fix
it or where to look for additional info?  Thanks kindly.

> --hobie
>
>> I tried the runtbird.sh script, hoping for more info - all it did was
> show that auth is failing. I don't understand why Dovecot is separating
the username from the domain name, and trying to match only on the
username.  Seems like there must be a config setting that affects this
and that I'm overlooking.  Thanks ahead for any help with this.

>> --hobie
>>
>> hobie wrote earlier:
>>
>> =====
>>
>> Attempting IMAP SSL login on new installation, using Icedove (Debain
> Thunderbird variant), login fails.  Logs show Dovecot attempting to
match username only, not username with domain name, on Vpopmail user, so
of course no match. Tried with '@' in full username, also with '%'.
What's missing?

>> Log shows:
>>
>> Aug 24 19:30:48 debian dovecot: auth: Debug: client in: CONT<hidden> Aug
> 24 19:30:48 debian dovecot: auth: Debug: Loading modules from directory:
/usr/local/lib/dovecot/auth