[Dovecot] Multiple domains to one inbox and temporary redirects...

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Aug 31 18:54:57 EEST 2011

Hi

Can anyone point me to a howto to arrange for multiple domains to deliver to one inbox with Dovecot?  For example, user1 at example.com and user1 at example.net should both be delivered to /var/spool/mail/virtual/example.net/user1

Currently, I have the dovecot LDA set as:

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=mailsystem argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}

and in dovecot.conf:

mail_location: maildir:/var/spool/mail/virtual/%d/%n

For some domains only, I need to override that mail_location.

Related to that, when user1 leave and user2 would like to receive user1's email, how can I get it so that email to user1 at example.com is delivered to user2 at example.com?  Previously when I was using Postfix to deliver the mails, I could change the maildirloc in the DB - but I’m not sure how to accomplish this with dovecot LDA.

Again, any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks.

Simon