[Dovecot] Authentication listener configuration

Rainer Frey rainer.frey at inxmail.de
Fri Dec 2 15:39:51 EET 2011

> On 29.11.2011, at 08:19, Rainer Frey wrote:
>> I'm wondering about the authentication listeners that dovecot uses. In many configurations I see:
>> service auth {
>> unix_listener auth-userdb {
>>
>> Does any component of dovecot use this listener internally (lmtp, lda ...) and does that read the config and search for the listener, or is the exact name "auth-userdb" expected? Is this maybe dependent on the userdb? Which ones need it? And if I want to use postfix SMTP auth, should I define a second listener, or just re-configure that default one to postfix's needs?
>
> I mean, specifically if I use lda and/or lmtp as well ...

Sorry for the noise, found it commented in the example configuration - it's configured in auth_socket_path. I didn't have a dovecot installation handy, so I only looked online. For dovecot 1.x, the wiki contains the full configuration file with all comments. Couldn't anything like that be done for 2.x as well (even though it's more complicated)?

Rainer