[Dovecot] Questions about single intance storage

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Sun Dec 4 19:41:29 EET 2011

>> If we can not safely restore from backup a user's mailbox with SiS
>> enabled, we can not enable SiS. Any plan to include this backup
>> recovery tool in dovecot 2.0.X or 2.1?
>
> I'd first have to design it. And before designing it I'd need to
> look into how the backup softwares usually work.. If anyone has any
> ideas about this, I'd like to hear.

BackupPC uses rsync by default for *nix boxes.

No idea what SiS is, but I'm guessing you're running into the same
problem as backing up any other open file with changing internal data
that may be inconsistent.

This is exactly what it's difficult (and pointless) to backup an open
MySQL database or a SQL Server database. The snapshot of what's in
memory doesn't always match what's on disk.

The only ways I know around this are to periodically create a backup
copy that *is* consistent and restorable and a utility to restore the
backup back to the "live" storage format, or create a method for the
software to flush it's buffers to disk then disconnect from the data
file while the backup process is running.

The first option takes ~2x the storage space, while the second option
makes the user's data inaccessible during the backup.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding the problem and have been
rambling for no purpose. 8-)

Terry