[Dovecot] IMAP SPECIAL-USE extension

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Tue Dec 6 15:07:00 EET 2011

* A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl>:
> On 06.12.2011 13:43, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>
> > From my understanding RFC 6154 serves to flag some IMAP mailboxes in order to
> > indicate they should be used for special use e.g. as trash folder etc.
> >
> > I fail to see how RFC 6154 would help displaying localized mailbox names.
>
> Ok. It will not help for existing folders, but will allow creation of
> special-use folders with any name.

Yes. And on top of that a MUA should detect these SPECIAL-USE folders and
automagically map its special folders (trash, archive, sent, drafts, etc.) to
the servers SPECIAL-USE mailboxes.

This should take place transparently and the special folders should carry
localized mailbox names e.g. "Sent" or "Gesendet" or "..."

At least that was my motivation to initiate that RFC about two years ago and
getting closer to that goal was the reason to sponsor this feature in Dovecot
2.1.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666