[Dovecot] IMAP SPECIAL-USE extension

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Dec 6 17:50:03 EET 2011

Op 6-12-2011 16:00, Patrick Domack schreef:
> Guess the next nice step would be to get sieve scripts to be able to
> use the aliased special use folders. So you can just say, fileinto \Spam;

Hmm, yeah. This will require some standardization efforts though.

Your example is a bit problematic:
   - First, syntax-wise, the argument should be enclosed in double
quotes; the grammar of the Sieve language is a bit sacred. :)
   - From what I've read, those SPECIAL-USE flags are not guaranteed to
be unique, so the delivery may become ambiguous. So, it is not really an
alias.
   - Making the bare fileinto command accept a SPECIAL-USE flag as an
alternative to a regular folder name may be unwise (potentially causing
naming conflicts, albeit unlikely). Some sort of :special_use tag would
be in order.

The ability to query which folder(s) are used for special purposes could
be an alternative, although that is not ideal either. I am not sure how
to approach this right now.

Regards,

Stephan.