[Dovecot] IMAP SPECIAL-USE extension

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 7 00:35:54 EET 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 23:26 +0100, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > I'm anyway now wondering what the defaults should be? Could someone
> > check what these defaults are for Outlook and any other clients you
> > have:
> >
> >  * "Drafts" is used by all clients
> >  * "Trash" is used by all clients
> >  * "Junk" is used by all clients? Or is "Spam" used by some?
> >  * "Sent" is used by Thunderbird, Evolution
> >  * "Sent Messages" is used by Apple Mail
> >
> > So I'm mainly wondering about "Sent" vs. "Sent Messages".
>
> Are you looking for US-English mailbox names only?

Yeah, just some defaults that most people could use without changes.
Although maybe if all of them were set with autocreate=no there could be
alternatives added. Like:

mailbox Sent {
  special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox "Sent Messages" {
  special_use = \Sent
}

This way whichever mailbox the first client creates would be used as
\Sent. Although if different clients create both of them there would
then be two \Sent mailboxes. But the user would probably delete one of
them and all would be good again.