[Dovecot] IMAP SPECIAL-USE extension

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Wed Dec 7 00:40:57 EET 2011

Quoting Patrick Ben Koetter <p at state-of-mind.de>:

> * Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org>:
>> Quoting Patrick Ben Koetter <p at state-of-mind.de>:

>> mailbox names.

>> >Yes. And on top of that a MUA should detect these SPECIAL-USE folders and
>> >automagically map its special folders (trash, archive, sent,
>> drafts, etc.) to
>> >the servers SPECIAL-USE mailboxes.
>> >
>> >This should take place transparently and the special folders should carry
>> >localized mailbox names e.g. "Sent" or "Gesendet" or "..."
>>
>> Except the localization conversions should be done on the MUA level,
>> not the mailstore level (see, e.g., INBOX).
>
> I believe that is exactly what I said in my lines above.
>

>> As Timo noted in another message in this thread, for the most part
>> there has been a informal standardization of special mailbox names
>> to their English equivalents.  There is really no reason to move
>> away from this standardization, especially for MUAs that do not yet
>
> Where in my posting did I say I want to move away from that standard?

The combination of the original author's comment, and your response
which did not seem to disagree with him at all, made it ambiguous at
best whether you were referring to localized mailbox names being
stored on the server or being translated on the client.  Looking
through the entire thread, and seeing your previous message, I see
that this was an incorrect assumption.  I apologize for any
misunderstanding.

michael