[Dovecot] Make entire mailbox read-only (ACLs?)

David Jonas djonas at vitalwerks.com
Sat Dec 10 08:00:04 EET 2011

On 12/9/11 9:13 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 11:16 -0800, David Jonas wrote:
>
>> Is there a way of locking a mailbox, effectively making it read-only to
>> IMAP clients?
> By "mailbox" you mean the user's all folders? This isn't possible
> currently, except by modifying filesystem permissions. A "default ACL
> for entire namespace" would be a nice feature, but it's just not done
> yet..
Looks like changing the filesystem permissions gets me what I'm looking
for. I simply removed write permissions for {cur,tmp,new}. Mailbox
access seems to work just fine. Thunderbird shows the server responding
with "SERVERBUG" and I get a "Permission denied" error in the logs,
though. Not a big deal, the users will be notified before hand.  Thanks!