[Dovecot] crashes on 2.0.16

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Dec 19 05:13:58 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 02:32 +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 00:32 +0100, Cor Bosman wrote:
>
> >> # 2.0.16: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> >> # OS: Linux 2.6.32.36-xsserver x86_64 Debian 6.0.3
>
> > Have you tried using a modern kernel? that one is about 2 years old.
>
> Well, this _is_ the kernel from Debian Stable and based on the
> Long-Term-Release from the kernel maintainers.

So what? It is not anything current, that the kernel dev team would
waste their time on.
Please remember, there is a massive difference between the kernel
maintainers, and the debian kernel package maintainers, do not confuse
the two, because the later have nothing to do with the former.

> Besides, from the suffix i assume this may be a virtual server, so it
> may be not possible for Cor to even change the kernel himself.

Given who Cor is, I'd be actually horrified if he was running any of his
plethora of mail servers on a virtual server.
hint: don't read too much into the uname value.